Saturday 12 June 2010

sayings from the cross

For our first meeting after lent we looked at the seven sayings from the cross. As an exercise we had the sayings printed out on separate pieces of paper and were asked as a group to match them to the four different gospels. The seven sayings (in alphabetical order!):
  • I thirst
  • It is finished.
  • Father forgive them, for they know not what they do
  • Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.
  • My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?
  • My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?
  • Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise
  • Woman, behold your son: behold your mother
I know there are 8 here, but one is in two gospels.

We scored about 50% how well can you do?

My thoughts in doing this exercise were to highlight the way we can conflate the gospels into one and that perhaps this is not always a good idea as each gospel is telling the story of Jesus in a particular way. In the end we only scored about 50% (not sure what we would get if we just randomly assigned the sayings, Jane or Doug any thoughts?).

No comments: